R e q u i r e d R e s o u r c e s
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
• Textbook: Chapter 12
• Lesson 1, 2
• The Doctors’ Choice is America’s Choice”: The Physician in US Cigarette
Advertisements, 1930-1953Links to an external site.
• The Opioid Epidemic: It’s Time to Place Blame Where It BelongsLinks to an
• Minimum of 1 scholarly source (in addition to the textbook and noted readings)
I n t r o d u c t i o n
The medical profession has a muddled and contradictory association with its approach
toward the tobacco industry. While the profession now firmly opposes smoking and
vigorously publicizes the serious, even fatal, health hazards associated with smoking,
this was not always so. Advertisements for tobacco products, including cigarettes “…
became a ready source of income for numerous medical organizations and journals,
including the New England Journal of Medicine and the Journal of the American Medical
Association (JAMA), as well as many branches and bulletins of local medical
associations” (Wolinsky & Brune, 1994). Physicians and references to doctors and
smoking were once common in tobacco industry advertisements. The story of
physicians and promotion of smoking can be found in “The Doctors’ Choice Is America’s
Choice” (Gardner & Brandt, 2006).
The role of physicians in the current opioid crisis is now under scrutiny on television
(Farmer, 2019) by trade publications (King, 2018), peer-reviewed journals (deShazo, et
al, 2018), and by physicians themselves (Hirsch, 2019).
I n i t i a l P o s t I n s t r u c t i o n s
For the initial post, research the history of the association of doctors with tobacco
companies and tobacco advertising. Read about the association of doctors with the
opioid crisis. Then, address the following:
• In what way are the two situations comparable?
• In what way are they different?
• Apply the concept of moral equivalence. Is the conduct of doctors in relation to
smoking and the tobacco industry morally equivalent to the conduct of doctors
in the opioid crisis? Explain your position and be very specific.
• APA format for in-text citations and list of references.
• 1 page