COVID-19 (also known as the novel coronavirus or SARS-COV2) was an emerging disease that became a global pandemic in 2020. Visit the website of the Centers for Disease Control and do some research on this corona disease, as well as the vaccines currently authorized and recommended by the CDC for use in the United States. Your textbook is also an excellent resource to learn more about the mechanisms of vaccines and how they affect the immune system.
Once you are familiar with COVID-19 and vaccines, share your knowledge with your classmates by starting a thread that addresses the following topics:
- Briefly explain what type of disease COVID-19 is and how it is transmitted.
- Select one of the approved and recommended vaccines listed on the CDC site and explain its mechanism of action, and be sure to include the following:
- Is the vaccine an mRNA or viral vector vaccine? Explain how it works within the body.
- How many doses are administrated? If multiple doses are needed, explain the importance.
- What are two ingredients found in the vaccine and some of the most common side effects?
- How do vaccines assist our immune system against emerging diseases?
Cite all facts and/or ideas that are not your own! Proofread the content of your posts before making them public; correct spelling, proper grammar, and sentence structure are expected.