Discussion Leader week 7
Create two questions for your peers to respond to.
Here are the guidelines:
1) Please provide at least two questions to the Discussion.
2) Be sure to reply to every student’s initial post.
3) You do not answer the questions. You are functioning as the leader.
4) You can then ask probing follow up questions on the boards to get everyone to focus on the significance of the research, for example.
5) Please feel free to seek out additional resources to help with the discussion.
6) Basically, you are the teacher this week, so enjoy! Use of positive reinforcement is always nice.
The questions are due to be posted by Wednesday at the latest of your week. You need to send them to me by Tuesday of your week, so I can approve them before you post.
Please include the standard verbiage both before and after the questions in your post. Please send the whole post to me for approval before you post in the discussion.
Here is an example of questions for Module 2 for another class. Please follow the format and include the verbiage both before and after the questions. I think you can come up with some thought provoking questions. I have faith in you!
Critically think about rationalism, existentialism, empiricism, and psychophysics. Familiarize yourself with Module 2’s objectives, introduction, video, and articles. Use the articles in Module 2 as your primary reference, then use the St Leo Online Library for peer review sources and to find relevance to this week’s topic.
Please share your information with our classmates on this thread.
1)Rationalism is founded in the idea that opinions should be based on reason and knowledge rather than religion or emotions. Descartes was the founder of modern rationalism. In order to solve questions, what did he propose that we, as humans do?
2) Empiricism states that knowledge comes from sensory experience and emphasizes the need for empirical evidence. John Locke viewed the human mind as a blank slate (i.e., tabula rosa). How was his theory influential to the development of psychology?
Please respond to the discussion. Initial posts are due by Friday at 11:59pm and responses to at least two classmates are due by Sunday at 11:59pm.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask me, or populate a question in the ‘FAQ’ thread, or send a question to Dr. Dunn. I will also be asking questions in the thread to help discussions and learning.
Week 7 Module Objectives
- Define special populations and discuss why they need special considerations.
- Apply the APA Code of Ethics to research involving individuals with disabilities.
- Apply Saint Leo University’s Core values to research involving individuals with disabilities.
Readings for the week
Jepson, M. (2015). Applying the Mental Capacity Act to research with people with learning disabilities. British Journal of Learning Disabilities, 43(2), 128-134. doi:10.1111/bld.12122
Lidz, C. (2006). Can people with mental illness consent to research? Center for Mental Health Services Research, 3. Retrieved from http://www.umassmed.edu/
Valera, P., Cook, S., Macklin, R., & Chang, Y. (2014). Conducting health disparities research with criminal justice populations: Examining research, ethics, and participation. Ethics & Behavior, 24(2), 164-174. doi:10.1080/10508422.
Video for the week
Thomas Insel: Toward a new understanding of mental illness