This project is an in-depth investigation of a health condition. It will allow for the expansion of knowledge and the ability to generalize larger concepts to a variety of health conditions.
Course outcomes: This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes.
1. Explain the pathophysiologic processes of select health conditions. (PO 1)
2. Predict clinical manifestations and complications of select disease processes. (PO 1, 8)
3. Correlate lifestyle, environmental, and other influences with changes in levels of wellness. (PO 1, 7)
Explain the pathophysiologic processes of select health conditions. (PO 1)
Due date: Your faculty member will inform you when this assignment is due. The Late Assignment Policy applies to this assignment.
Total points possible: 100 points
Follow these guidelines when completing this assignment. Speak with your faculty member if you have questions.
1) Select a disease process that interests you.
2) Obtain approval of the selected disease process from the course faculty.
a. Faculty will share how to submit your topic choice for approval.
3) Write a 2-3-page paper (excluding title and reference pages).
4) Include the following sections about the selected disease process (detailed criteria listed below and in the Grading Rubric).
a. Introduction of disease – 10 points/10%
· One paragraph (approximately 200 words)
· Includes disease description
· Includes epidemiology of the disease
b. Etiology and risk factors – 20 points/20%
· Common causes of the disease or condition
· Risk factors for the disease or condition
· Impact of age
· Prevalence based on gender,
· Influence of environment
· Genetic basis of disease
· Lifestyle influences
· All information supported by current literature
c. Pathophysiological processes – 20 points/20%
· Describes changes occurring at the cellular, tissue, and/or organ level that contribute to the disease process.
· Describes adaptation of the cells and body in response to the disease.
· Relates disease processes to manifested signs and symptoms.
d. Clinical manifestations and complications – 20 points/20%
· Describes the physical signs and symptoms that are important in considering the presence of the disease.
· Identifies signs that contribute to diagnosis of the condition
· Identifies symptoms that contribute to diagnosis of the condition.
· Identifies complications of the disease.
· Discusses the implications to the patient when complications are left untreated.
e. Diagnostics – 10 points/10%
· Includes list of common laboratory and diagnostic tests used to determine the presence of the disease.
· Discusses the significance of test findings in relation to the disease process.
f. Interview – 10 points/10%
· Once the student has become familiar with the disorder, it is their responsibility to locate an individual living with the disease process to interview (interviewee). It is recommended that you find an individual first, then complete research and writing on the topic prior to performing the interview.
· The interviewee must be at least 18 years old and able to answer questions by themselves
· The interviewee must currently have the chronic disease/disorder. If an interviewee has been diagnosed with a disease/disorder but has NO manifestations or complications related to the disorder they DO NOT qualify for the assignment.
· Acute infections/diseases DO NOT qualify (pneumonia, urinary tract infection, flu, colds).
· The interviewee cannot be a patient from the clinical setting or a patient from your work environment (hospitals, doctor’s office, LTC facility, home health, etc.)
· The interviewee may be a relative, friend, colleague, or stranger.
· Please use the individual’s own words in relation to their experience with the disease/disorder.
· NOTE: This assignment is for educational purposes only. Students are NOT to provide any medical/nursing advice or education to interviewees. Refer interviewee questions to their physician.
· Interview Questions
· What is the age of the individual being interviewed? What is the relationship of the individual to you? How long have they had the disorder?
· What clinical manifestations of the disorder does the individual experience? How does it compare to what you discovered in your resources?
· What complications of the disorder does the individual experience? How does this compare to what you discovered in your resources?
· What other medical conditions/disorders has the individual been diagnosed with? Do their other medical conditions have any effect on the chosen disorder?
· How does the disease affect the individual’s daily living/activities? (repeat hospitalizations, has to take a lot of meds, any activity restrictions, a lot of appointments?)
· How does the disease/disorder affect the individual’s outlook on life? (Feel like a burden to family, do they have good family support, feel hopeless, optimistic, good coping mechanisms?)
· What did you learn from interviewing the individual?
g. APA Style and Organization – 10 points/10%
· References are submitted with assignment.
· Uses current APA format and is free of errors.
· Grammar and mechanics are free of errors.
· Paper is 2-3 pages, excluding title and reference pages.
· At least two (2) scholarly, primary sources from the last 5 years, excluding the textbook, are provided.
For writing assistance, visit the Writing Center.
Please note that your instructor may provide you with additional assessments in any form to determine that you fully understand the concepts learned.