Consider the following scenario:
Betty came to her second session with you describing what appeared to be manic and depressive episodes. You have valid questions and concerns and want a formal psych evaluation.
How would you explain to Betty that you have concerns about her symptoms and want to refer her to see a psychiatrist for evaluation? Write out a mini script showing what you, the counselor, might say to Betty.
Respond to the following prompts using a mini script.
- Explain why counsellors refer clients to a psychiatrist for a psych eval (what is and what is not in our scope of practice).
- Explain what collaborative behavioural healthcare is.
- Include a description of two circumstances when a counselor would refer a client for a psych evaluation.
- Describe two circumstances when a counselor would use the Release of Information (ROI) signed by a client.
- Include an empathetic reflection to Betty.
- Sinacola, R. S., Peters-Strickland, T., & Wyner, J. D. (2020). Basic psychopharmacology for mental health professionals (3rd ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Pearson.
- Chapter 6, “Treatment of Bipolar Disorder”