Guide to writing a successful sample essay.
In order to check your writing skills, you will be asked to write a short sample paper that will show your level of English, ability to organize and express your thoughts, knowledge of citation style and your ability to perform a given task in a given time frame.
The essay should be two pages long + reference page. All the instructions are explained in Writing Guide (you can find it below), be attentive to follow all of them, as an editor will check your essay referring to those instructions.
Here are several tips and requirements for a successful sample-essay:
- Follow the correct format:
- 1 inch margins from all sidesTimes new roman or Arial, font 12Double spaced
- Other APA or MLA attributes, depending on the citation style you have been tasked to follow.
- In order to make your paper logical we recommend chosing ‘5-paragraph essay‘ structure for your sample paper. This is the most common and easily understandable structure for a short essay. In 5-paragraph essay each paragraph has its purpose:
- 1st – introductory paragraph. This should contain a thesis sentence, the main idea your paper will defend or narrate about.2nd, 3rd and 4th – body paragraphs. Each paragraph should represent specific idea or thought that is important for your essay, and should contribute into supporting the key argument of your essay.
- 5th paragraph – conclusion. This last paragraph should not contain new ideas. It should only summarize the ideas you have already laid out in your paper and logically conclude the entire writing.
- What to avoid in your writing:
- Run-on sentences – a type of sentence in which 2 or more independent ideas are not separated by comas or full stops. Such sentences are messy and are generally considered a mistake typical for a primitive writing style.
- Too short or too large paragraphs – each paragraph should not be less than 3 lines and should not exceed your other paragraphs. The amount of writing required to support your ideas should be more or less equal. The paragraphs should also not be too short since they all have to contain their own introductory sentence, body part and concluding sentence.
- Huge citations – cite original sources only when it is really needed. Avoid useless citations intended merely to pour the water in your writing. Also, be sure to correctly format your citations according to chosen citation style. Remember to use specific format requirements for large citations (check your chosen citation style guide for more details).
- Confused thoughts and ideas – it is important that your writing is easily understandable and ‘user-friendly‘. Whatever is the topic of your writing, it should be easy for reading. Avoid complicacy and rather simplify your thoughts.
- Timely delivery. Make sure you upload your paper in time. If you fail to do so your paper may not be accepted.
- Proofread your writing after completion.
- Do not copy-paste. Plagiarized papers will be turned down immediately. An essay should contain your ideas, or your research. Be careful to cite your sources appropriately whenever you outsource your information.