NSG 3150 – Healthcare Informatics
Week 5 – Drop box Assignment – Technology Used in Protocol PowerPoint Presentation
Consider the following hypothetical scenario:
You have been chosen as your nursing unit’s representative for a quality review team at your healthcare system. The team has been asked to review technology used at the hospital in a protocol or process to improve patient outcomes (for example: catheter-associated urinary tract infections (CAUTI), central line-associated bloodstream infection (CLABSI), fall prevention, etc.). When choosing a protocol, think about the types of technologies used to implement and/or perform the protocol. For this assignment, you have been tasked with completing a review of the technologies used within one protocol. You will need to create a PowerPoint presentation which describes the results of the critique you have performed and recommendations to the group.
Describe and critique a protocol used on your healthcare unit using the guidelines listed below. Describe the purpose and significance of the protocol and the technologies used. Determine if the technologies used in the protocol communicate. Identify any gaps noted and provide recommendations. Identify other stakeholders within the organization who should receive this feedback.
- Application: Use Microsoft PowerPoint 2007 or versions after 2007 (no XP).
- Length: The PowerPoint slide show is expected to be no more than 15 slides in length (not including the title slide and reference list slide).
- Submission: Submit your files via the drop box: “Technologies used in Protocol” by 11:59 PM on Sunday of week 5.
- Technical writing: APA format is required.
- Submit assignment with your last name in document title; example: “Smith_protocol_week5”
- Late Submission: See the course policy on late submissions.
- Tutorial: If needed, Microsoft Office has many templates and tutorials to help you get started.
- Your presentation should include a title slide, an introduction slide, summary slide, and reference slide. The title slide, introduction slide, and reference slide do not count towards the presentation slide numbers.
- The introduction should briefly describe the purpose for this presentation. Identify a protocol used in the healthcare setting you normally practice (if currently not practicing, find a protocol used in a healthcare setting near you). The introduction should establish a professional tone for the presentation.
- Discuss the following features of the protocol:
- Provide a general description and significance of the protocol.
- Describe how the protocol aligns with evidence-based practice (e. identify a minimum of 2 scholarly articles that support/refute actions identified in the protocol)
- Identify any technologies currently used by healthcare system to complete the actions in the protocols
- Provide a brief description of each technology used in the protocol
- Describe the purpose for the technology use (g. communication, assess information, etc.)
- Describe if and how the technologies communicate among each other.
- Describe how the nurse is able to access the information needed to complete the protocol.
- What gaps in technology communicating with technology are noted after reviewing this information?
- Summarize the analysis and offer recommendations to achieve better protocol results and improve the use of technology within the protocol (e. what would one recommend to refine the protocol?)
- What is the process to provide feedback of the recommendations in addition to your supervisor? (e. practice committee, supervisor/manager, etc.)
The following are best practices in preparing this project:
- Provide a professional presentation.
- Review directions thoroughly.
- Cite all sources within the slide show as well as in the reference page.
- Proofread prior to final submission.
- Spell check for spelling and grammar errors prior to final submission.
- Abide by the GCON academic integrity policy.
Important note to students: Pay close attention not only to the details of this assignment but also to the spelling, grammar, and syntax of your work. You are encouraged to use your Galen resources such as Grammarly, APA Style Central, etc. to complete this assignment.