PAYING FOR HOSPITAL AND PHYSICIAN SERVICES
Using the information in the required readings, as well as some additional research in peer-reviewed sources, complete your SLP assignment by answering the following:
- What are the specific reimbursement methods used by each of the major third-party payers?
- What are the specific incentives and the risks for the providers under the various payment types?
- What are the differences between insurance-negotiated rates and the private pay fees charged to uninsured patients for health care services? Is there a difference, and if so, how much is it? Provide an example of what is charged for one specific service (appointment, test, etc.).
** Kaiser Family Foundation. (2019). Paying a visit to the doctor: Current financial protections for Medicare patients when receiving physician services. Available at https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-brief/paying-a-visit-to-the-doctor-current-financial-protections-for-medicare-patients-when-receiving-physician-services/
** Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. (2016). Physician and other health professionals payment system. Available at https://www.medpac.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/medpac_payment_basics_21_physician_final_sec.pdf
SLP Assignment Expectations
- Conduct additional research to gather sufficient information to support your analysis.
- Provide a response of 3-5 pages, not including title page and references
- As we have multiple required items to be addressed herein, please use subheadings to show where you’re responding to each required item and to ensure that none are omitted.
- Support your paper with peer-reviewed articles, with at least 3 references. Use the following link for additional information on how to recognize peer-reviewed journals:
Angelo State University Library. (n.d.).Library Guides: How to recognize peer-reviewed (refereed) journals. Retrieved from https://www.angelo.edu/services/library/handouts/peerrev.php
- You may use the following source to assist in formatting your assignment:
Purdue Online Writing Lab. (n.d.). General APA guidelines. Retrieved from https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/
- For additional information on reliability of sources, review the following source:
Georgetown University Library. (n.d.). Evaluating internet resources. Retrieved from https://www.library.georgetown.edu/tutorials/research-guides/evaluating-internet-content