As you know, humans need food, shelter, clothing, and other manufactured goods. The production activities related to meeting these needs are sources of environmental risk. As a result, the environmental health management field focuses on risks from food production and manufacturing. In this assignment, you will examine a risk in one of these areas, evaluate its characteristics for creating outrage, and describe management efforts for the risk.
Write a 4-5 page paper using the following directions:
- Select an environmental risk that results from either food production or manufacturing. In the introduction to your paper, identify the specific risk you selected and whether it is related to food production or manufacturing. Describe the food production or manufacturing activity that creates the risk, including details about location or setting, as well as stakeholders.
- Risk analysis.
- Identify the release information.
- Research the circumstances under which exposure takes place. Either document examples of releases that have taken place or describe plausible release scenarios.
- Describe the effects of this risk on individual and population health. Provide examples of the effects, specific exposures, and health-related incidents.
- Risk Communication: Evaluate the attention-getting potential of this risk based on its characteristics. Page 47 of the textbook lists the features of a risk that are likely to arouse outrage.
- Management and Harm Reduction: Research the way this risk is managed and reduced, such as through regulation or legislation. If you cannot find the information for this risk, in particular, research management and hard reduction for similar risks. Evaluate the success of at least two risk management or harm reduction approaches for the risk. Support your evaluation with reference to resources. These management or reduction efforts may include the following, or others:
- Laws that apply to limiting or regulating the activity.
- Programs or laws that require cleanup related to this risk.
- Costs of mitigation or treatment of effects.
- Use at least four sources to support your writing. Choose sources that are credible, relevant, and appropriate. Cite each source listed on your source page at least one time within your assignment. For help with research, writing, and citation, access the library or review library guides.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The library is your home for SWS assistance, including citations and formatting. Please refer to the Library site for all support. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Evaluate sources of environmental risk from energy production, manufacturing, and food production for their impact on population health.
- Assess strategies used to mitigate the negative effects of environmental hazards on population health.