In HBSE I, you began your study of the biological, psychological, and social dimensions of human development. What concepts come to mind as you reflect on your learning in that course? Why do these ideas resonate with you, and how might you apply them in your future work as a social worker?
For this Discussion, you create a video to introduce yourself to your colleagues and Instructor. Then, you reflect on your learning in HBSE I and consider what new knowledge and insights you hope to gain here in HBSE II.
Study of the biological, psychological, and social dimensions of human development.
Be sure to review the Learning Resources before completing this activity.
Click the weekly resources link to access the resources.
- Revisit the major concepts from the HBSE I course by reviewing Chapters 1–9 in Zastrow et al.
- Consider what you learned in HBSE I and what you are looking forward to in HBSE II.
BY DAY 3
Record and post a 2- to 3-minute video that includes the following:
- Your introduction (name, geographic location, and other pertinent details as appropriate for your colleagues)
- A brief summary of your learning from the Human Behavior and the Social Environment I course
- Your expectations for this course; for example, topics and concepts you are hoping to learn about
- A brief personal perspective on how understanding the person and the environment relates to social work practice
For guidance on posting a video into the Discussion Forum, please refer to the steps below or to the Kaltura section of the Classroom Support Center, accessed via the Help button (the i icon) on the left-hand global navigation menu.
- Click Reply and then click the Embed Kaltura Media button from the text editor menu.
- Next, click Text Entry and then click the Embed Kaltura Media button.
- Select your recorded video under My Media.
- Check the box for the End-User License Agreement and select Submit Assignment for review.
Include a transcript and/or edit closed captioning on your video to ensure that your presentation is accessible to colleagues of differing abilities.
BY DAY 5
Respond to two colleagues with a thoughtful question or suggestion.
- Zastrow, C. H., Kirst-Ashman, K. K. & Hessenauer, S. L. (2019). Understanding human behavior and the social environment (11th ed.). Cengage Learning.
- Review Chapters 1–9.
- Dye, H. (2018). The impact and long-term effects of childhood trauma.Links to an external site. Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment, 28(3), 381–392. https://doi.org/10.1080/10911359.2018.1435328
- Harvard University Center on the Developing Child.Links to an external site. (n.d.). Key concepts: Resilience. https://developingchild.harvard.edu/science/key-concepts/resilience
- Kte’pi, B. (2020). Resilience (psychology).Links to an external site. In Salem Press encyclopedia. Salem Press.