Technology Portfolio Assignment Instructions
For this assignment, you will identify forms and applications of technology for use in an elementary school social studies classroom. You will be required to describe these technologies’ general applications, specific activities in the general social studies arena, and provide an evaluation. You will develop a portfolio of technologies that could be used in an elementary school social studies classroom, identifying general uses, aligning appropriate national social studies standards, potential activities, and good and bad points to that technology’s use.
- Select ten (10) technologies, two (2) from each of the five (5) categories defined below that can be used in an educational setting environment. Note: you are not restricted to include only educational or instructional technologies. You may critically explore any technology that might have pedagogical use. Select technologies representing:
- Hardware devices
- Business/productivity software (e.g., Microsoft Office)
- Web-based technologies (i.e., delivered via the Internet)
- Multimedia software (i.e., audio, video, graphical)
- In a Word document, write a review of each technology, answering the following questions with 1-2 paragraphs for each question:
- What are the general functions and purposes of this technology?
- What types of social studies objectives/goals could this technology meet, and how (i.e., what is an example of an activity that would represent the objective/goal being met?)? Relate to one or more NCSS learning themes or the NCSS C3 Framework. See the National Curriculum Standards for Social Studies: Chapter 2 – The Themes of Social Studies and National Curriculum Standards for Social Studies: C3 Framework provided with this assignment.
- In your opinion, what are the good and bad points of using this technology in a pedagogical setting? Consider this a risk analysis.
Organize your paper with the various levels of current APA-formatted headings. Include an APA-formatted title page and references page. All citations and references must adhere to current APA formatting guidelines. A Technology Portfolio Example has been provided with this assignment for your reference.
Note: Your assignment will be checked for originality via the Turnitin plagiarism tool.